The biggest money-making blockbuster released from Toho Studios, director Ishirō Honda’s film has had a checkered past. The rights to the original “Gojira” were sold to Jewel Enterprises, Inc., where it was chopped up and reedited, with additional footage adding Raymond Burr, for mass marketing at American drive-in theaters. The original references to the nuclear bombing of Japan as the cause for this monstrous creature disappeared.
In all the Japanese movies, it was
First thermonuclear, spread
Like cancer through the body
Politic, mutating genes into
Something nonhuman, passed
Generation to generation.
Now, robbing graveyards
Of dinosaurs for raw crude
Has made its own monster
Contaminate the coastlines
And drown algae, cradles
Of civilization, in black pools.
A Full English Dub:
Blue Oyster Cult’s hit song “Godzilla”. A music video made from the original Godzilla King Of The Monsters:
Documentary about one of the most recognizable symbols of Japanese popular culture worldwide and important facet of Japanese films, embodying the ‘kaiju’ subset of the ‘tokusatsu’ genre, from the BBC.
- 1954 Japan Movie Association Awards – Special Effects (Godzilla (1954))
- 1965 Japan Academy Award – Best Score (Mothra vs. Godzilla)
- 1966 Japan Academy Award – Special Effects (Invasion of Astro Monster)
- 1986 Japan Academy Award – Special Effects and Newcomer of the Year (The Return of Godzilla)
- 1986 Razzie Awards – Worst Supporting Actor and Worst New Star (The Return of Godzilla)
- 1992 Japan Academy Award – Special Effects (Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah)
- 1993 Tokyo Sports Movie Awards – Best Leading Actor (Godzilla vs. Mothra)
- 1993 Best Grossing Films Award – Golden Award and Money-Making Star Award (Godzilla vs. Mothra)
- 1993 Japan Academy Award – Best Score (Godzilla vs. Mothra)
- 1994 Japan Academy Award – Best Score (Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II)
- 1995 Best Grossing Films Award – Silver Award (Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla)
- 1996 Best Grossing Films Award – Golden Award (Godzilla vs. Destoroyah)
- 1996 Japan Academy Award – Special Effects (Godzilla vs. Destoroyah)
- 1996 MTV Movie Awards – Lifetime Achievement*
- 1998 Golden Raspberry Awards – Worst Supporting Actress and Worst Remake or Sequel (Godzilla 1998)
- 1999 Saturn Awards – Best Special Effects (Godzilla (1998))
- 2001 Saturn Awards – Best Home Video Release (Godzilla 2000)
- 2002 Best Grossing Films Award – Silver Award (Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack)
- 2004 Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 2007 Saturn Awards – Best DVD Classic Film Release (Godzilla (1954))
- 2014 Japan Cool Content Contribution Award (Godzilla (2014))
(*) In 1996 Godzilla received an award for Lifetime Achievement at the MTV Movie Awards. Creator and producer Shōgo Tomiyama accepted on his behalf via satellite and was joined by “Godzilla” himself.